If someone told me to have a glass of orange juice with my salmon, I would be severely grossed out. The combo just doesn't go together (or so you think). (This is not a recommendation, I've yet to try it.) But, Citrus + Salmon + Fennel is actually a remarkable combination. Don't believe me? Give it a go!
Also, this meal pairs phenomenally well with the Lemon Kale Salad.
1 medium head of Fennel
1 Blood Orange
1 Naval Orange (any regular Orange will work)
3 filets of Salmon; skinless (~1 pound)
1. Preheat your oven for 275 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Wash the Fennel, Blood Orange, Lemon and Naval Orange. Do not peel any of them.
let's be Frank: We're skipping the peeling phase because they'll be baked with the skin on. The skin of these citrus fruits is packed with a lot of flavor.
3. Thinly slice the Fennel, Oranges and Lemon, purposely leaving the skin on.
let's be Frank: You'll only want to use the head of the fennel, not the stalks.
4. Lay the Fennel in an oven-safe pan first and top with slices of Orange and Lemon.
5. Lay your Salmon on top of the Orange and Lemon slices.
let's be Frank: The goal here is for the salmon to pick up some of that citrus flavor (plus it makes for a great presentation).
6. Drizzle Olive Oil and sprinkle Salt and Pepper over the Salmon, vegetables and fruit.
let's be Frank: Sea salt or Himilayan salt works well in this dish but regular Kosher salt is just as good.
7. Place the pan in the oven for about 30 minutes until the Salmon has cooked.
let's be Frank: A quick way to tell if salmon is cooked is to see if the fish has become flaky when touched or if white fat has been released from the fish.
8. Remove from the oven, serve and enjoy!