1 cup Salted Butter (2 sticks - room temperature)
1 cup Sugar
2 Eggs (room temperature)
1 teaspoon Almond Extract
1/2 teaspoon Salt
3 cups Flour
1 teaspoon Baking Powder
1 medium-size jar of Jam (flavor of your choice)
1/2 cup Confectioners' Sugar (powdered sugar)
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
2. Mix together the Butter, Sugar, Eggs, Almond Extract and Salt.
let's be Frank: It is very important to have all ingredients at room temperature. Cold butter will lead to clumping and a dough that was not properly mixed.
let's be Frank: Don't have the time to wait for it to reach room temperature? Here's a process to speed things up: 1. Dampen a kitchen towel and microwave it for 1-2 minutes. 2. Wrap the stick of butter (still wrapped in waxed paper) or the cold eggs in the warm towel and let sit for 5 minutes. 3. Unwrap the towel and leave the ingredients on counter, or repeat, if necessary. This process will bring the items to room temperature quicker and will not negatively impact the ingredients (such as microwaving the butter directly).
3. In a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, mix on medium until all ingredients are fully incorporated.
let's be Frank: It's easiest in a stand mixer but this is not a requirement. It's also easy to do by hand as long as everything is at room temperature.
4. In a separate bowl, whisk together the Flour and Baking Powder.
5. Slowly add the dry ingredients into the mixer bowl and incorporate fully.
let's be Frank: At this point, the dough should be sticky to the touch.
6. In roughly the size of 3/4 of a tablespoon, roll the dough into a ball and place the balls on an ungreased cookie sheet.
7. TIME TO FINGERPRINT! Take your thumb and press into the center of the cookie, leaving a crater for where the Jam will sit.
8. Add small spoonfuls of Jam onto each cookie, being sure not to overfill.
let's be Frank: Our family loves to use strawberry jam, but you can use whatever jam you like. The key is to use JAM. A jelly or preserve will melt down in the oven and leave a messy cookie.
9. Once the cookies are topped with Jam, place the cookie trays into the oven for about 8-10 minutes.
let's be Frank: Make sure the cookies are lightly golden around the edges and the rest of the dough appears near-white. This will ensure the cookies stay soft.
10. Let the cookies rest for 5 minutes, transfer to a cooling rack and dust with Confectioners' Sugar while still warm.
let's be Frank: Do not dust the cookies when they are hot or else the powdered sugar will melt. If you wait for them to fully cool, the powdered sugar will not stick.
11. Enjoy or store in an airtight container.