I am 100% not a Kale guy. I'm just not. I've tried Kale 1,000 different ways but this is one recipe I HAD to share. Also, its flavors are perfect for a summertime salad (or as I write this, in the dead of winter as I'm dreaming about the summer).
Pair it with any citrus meal, especially the Citrus Salmon Bake.
1/4 cup of Lemon Juice (juice of ~1 large Lemon)
1/2 cup Olive Oil
3 cloves Garlic
~10 ounces Kale
1/4 cup Sliced Almonds
1/4 cup Cranberries
1. In a small bowl, mix together the Lemon Juice and Olive Oil until combined
2. Peel and crush the Garlic and add the cloves into the lemon-oil mixture.
let's be Frank: An easy way that I "peel" my garlic is by flattening the clove with the palm of my hand against the countertop. This will not only crush the garlic (releasing the flavor) but help remove the skin too.
3. Add in a dash of Salt and Black Pepper. Let the lemon-oil mixture sit for at least 30 minutes.
let's be Frank: The longer you leave the garlic in, the more garlic flavor will be released into the salad dressing. Just remember to remove the garlic before pouring the dressing on the salad.
4. Toast the Sliced Almonds in the oven at 300 degrees on a baking sheet until golden brown. Be sure to check frequently to avoid burning.
5. Wash the Kale and pat dry.
let's be Frank: I usually cheat with this step. I sometimes buy a bag of kale that has been pre-cut for salads. If you are buying a head of kale, simply bunch it up and cut it into strips - sizing is totally your preference.
6. Now, it's time to combine. Add your Kale, Sliced Almonds, Cranberries and dressing into a bowl. Give it a good mix.
let's be Frank: Depending who you're making this for, be creative. I've modified this for some people who are not big cranberry fans, so feel free to swap in something else. The power of this meal is in the dressing.